Tomato Rasam recipe
Tomato rasam or charu is most popular recipe in south India mainly in Andra Pradesh and Tamilnadu . There are so many types of rasam recipes but now here i introduce basic type of tomato rasam recipe. In South India every family this recipe may prepare at least twice in a week. Here i show you a different method to prepare this recipe when compared to other recipe websites,due to follow these steps it gives a good taste.Generally in other websites tomato make into pieces and fry it in oil but in my site first i put tomato in hot water , peel it , mash it ,and then i fried in oil that’s why it gets good taste and also here i used ghee also instead of oil. Here i introduce this recipe with out dhal.
In Andra pradesh it is called as charu,and in Tamilnadu called as rasam . I have heard about this charu from my childhood . Mainly my mom did this recipe in winter season because by having this rasam avoids cough and cold and also very light in the stomach, help for good digestion during meal. I am using home made rasam powder if you don’t have in home refer podi varieties page in my recipes blog or otherwise you may also use rasam powder which is available in super markets.
- 1 or 2 Tomato
- Large lemon size Tamarind
- Rasam powder
- 2 cups Water
- 1/4 tbsp Sugar
- Required Salt
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Urad dhal
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida or hing
- 2 or 3 tbsp Ghee
Preperation Steps of Tamoto Rasam
- Heat water in a bowl until boiling,after switch off the flame, add medium sized tomato and tamarind in that boil water.After the water get cool take out tomato and peel it (by putting tomato in hot water, we can take out peel easily with our hands).
- Mash tomato with hands and keep aside. Tamarind is there in that bowl, Squeeze tamarind and extract juice from it and keep aside. Garlic cloves also slightly mash with hands, keep aside. Otherwise if we don’t mash the cloves while frying in oil,it will splutter or crack.
- Now heat ghee on a low flame in a bowl add red chilies, cumin seeds, urad dhal, mustard seeds, mashed garlic cloves, fry for sometime till spluttering the mustard seeds now add curry leaves and asafoetida or hing.
- Add mashed tomato in it fry for sometime till raw smell is went off, add tamarind juice in it. Now add turmeric powder, salt, little bit of sugar or jaggery . While boiling add required amount of rasam powder, after getting nice aroma.Switch off the flame.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot hot spicy and tangy rasam in rice.