Sambar recipe is originated in the kitchen of tanjavur marthas which is located in tamilnadu. So it is most popular in South-India particularly in tamilnadu . The meaning of word sambar in tamil is ground or paste, in the spices to be dissolved in tamarind pulp and context of grinding coconut. Here i am using home made sambar powder if you want to prepare sambar powder refer Podi varieties in my website or otherwise you may buy this powder which is available in super markets but i prefer home made powder because it is good for health.
Taste of this sambar recipe depends upon the vegetables what we are using here , any type of vegetables you may add depends upon your family taste like potatoes, bottle gourd, lady finger, carrot, onions, tomatoes, drumstick, yellow cucumber etc in this sambar recpe. There are so many types of sambar recipes here i am showing sambar using thoor dal .
If you are new for cooking follow all steps what i am saying below carefully and tell me your opinion as a comment in recipes cooking blog.
- medium lemon size Tamarind
- 3 tbsp Sambar powder
- Required Red chilli powder
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- Required Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Pigeon pea lentils or thoor dal
- 1/4 cup Carrot
- Coriander leaves
- 2 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 2 Drumstick
- 2 or 3 Green chilies
- 1 pinch Asafoetida or hing
- 4 or 5 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Red chillies
- Curry leaves
- 3 or 4 Garlic cloves
Preparation of Vegetable Sambar
- First soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water for 30 min or more. Squeeze tamarind and extract the pulp from it, keep aside. Make onion, tomato, green chilies, drumstick and keep aside.
- Add 2 cups of water for a cup of thoor dal in a pressure cooker, close lid. Keep it on the medium flame till 2 or 3 whistles. Dal must be soft and mashy .
- Heat oil on a low flame in a thick bottomed pan fry mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chili, mashed garlic cloves till mustard seeds will splutter, now add curry leaves, hing. Immediately add onion shallots fry until it becomes transparent.
- Now add tomato fry it till tomato becomes soft and then add drum stick, carrot pieces fry until raw smell went out. Add 1 1/2 cup water in it.
- Add require salt, turmeric powder, sugar, tamarind pulp as per taste you may add extra also . Cook it well on a medium flame until all veggies become soft.
- Now add mashed thoor dhal in it, add sambar powder (here i am using home made sambar powder if you don’t have you refer our podi varieties also in my site other wise you may use sambar powder which is available in super markets also ) red chili powder, as per taste. Keep it on boiling until nice aroma comes out.
- Now switch off the flame. Serve this hot hot Vegetable Sambar recipe by garnishing with coriander leaves in hot rice or idly, dosa as you wish.