- 25 mins
- Serves 3
Lemon rice is famous in South India. It is very easy to prepare takes very less time to cook and it requires very less ingredients also. Due to this lemon adds tanginess, while tempering imparts the aroma to this simple rice delicacy.
You can prepare lemon rice with freshly cooked rice or with left over rice, peanuts add crunchiness to this rice aromatic recipe. It serves as a hassle free lunch box option or also it serves instead of breakfast. This recipe is very useful while going to picnic because it preserves till 1 day,and this rice dish i have had at a few south Indian temples and also in restaurants. Kids are also like this recipe very much.
Best to serve this recipe with raitha or pappula podi or papad and you can also use cashews in this rice recipe for getting extra flavor.
- 3 cups Boiled rice
- 2 tbsp Chana dhal
- 2 tbsp Urad dhal
- 1/4 cup Peanuts
- 2 or 3 Green chilies
- 2 Red chillies
- 1 pinch Asafoetida or hing
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- 4 or 5 tbsp Oil
- 2 or 3 Lemons
Preparation Steps of Lemon Rice
- Cook 3 cups of rice with 6 cups of water for getting boiled rice. Spread the rice into a plate and let it be cool for some time.
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed pan add peanuts roast till it spluttering. Now add chana dhal, urad dhal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies fry for sometime till mustard seeds spluttering.
- Add curry leaves, green chilies, turmeric powder switch off the flame and add asafoetida. Keep aside let it be cool.
- After the whole mixture turn into the boiled rice bowl mix it well add required salt. Now the add lemon juice to required taste mix well .
- keep it aside for some time due to this lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4-5 mins. Serve this rice with pappula podi or pappads.