Time taken to prepare Dosakaya Pappu
No. of serves
Dosakaya Pappu is most popular in Andra Pradesh state, a lot of people can prepare this recipe for their lunch boxes regularly. It is also a very good side dish while having rice chapathi, pulka, roti. It is a very nutritious food because here we are using toor dal. While eating this recipe in rice by adding a dollop of ghee and papad hmmm….. so tasty…
From my childhood, I know this dosakaya pappu but here I prepared a little bit change in the preparation process. From my childhood, chopped cucumber, onion, tomato are cooked along with toor dal in a pressure cooker directly later tempering. But here I made few changes while preparing this dosakaya pappu I cooked dal separately, later added to cooked veggies due to this it tastes different compared to regular dosakaya pappu.
Ingredients for Dosakaya Pappu:-
- Dosakaya / Yellow Cucumber (Chopped)- 1 cup
- Onion (Chopped)- 1/2 cup
- Tomato (Chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves
- Green chilies-2
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Tamarind juice – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 1 or 2
- Few Curry leaves
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Steps to prepare Dosakaya Pappu:-
- Wash and cook toor dal by adding 2 cups of water in a 3 lit pressure cooker until 1 or 2 whistles. Later keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a wide-bottomed pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal, dry red chilies mix it well after spluttering mustard seeds add curry leaves, Hing / Asafoetida.
- Now add chopped onion cook it well until it becomes transparent, add chopped yellow cucumber, chopped tomato close the lid cook it on low flame until it becomes mushy.
- Later mash cooked toor dal and transfer to a tempering pan what we prepare before.
- Now add a little bit of water add the required amount of salt, turmeric powder, tamarind juice cook it well by the closing lid on low flame for 10 mins.
- Finally add coriander leaves mix it well, later serve hot…. hot… Dosakaya Pappu along with rice by adding a dollop of ghee.